It’s easy to fall in love with a new product and get excited about how you can use it on your vehicle. But there is nothing more disappointing than buying an idea that doesn’t work. It’s no fun to have something that doesn’t fit into your specifications. So here are 5 important things to keep in mind when shopping for these useful accessories.
- Protecting Bolts – The bolts that hold the cover plate to the vehicle are usually exposed to the weather. Grease, occasionally reapplied, won’t prevent rusting. Overloading – the vehicle will only handle so much weight before breaking. This is usually less than the cover plate can comfortably handle. Don’t overfill it! If you find yourself overloading, remove the vehicle and do it again later with a smaller load.
- Safety – Some products aren’t right for your vehicles. Always make sure the straps or hooks fit around the vehicle securely. Never buy one of these items that have loose fittings because it will be extremely dangerous.
- Durability – Roof racks made from lightweight aluminium are usually more durable. This makes them more flexible when the weight is added to a vehicle. However, they don’t last as long as a product made from fibreglass. Make sure to consider this when buying!
- Maintenance and Cleaning – Most roof racks are not made out of waterproof materials. They are vulnerable to leaks and stains. The best way to make sure your vehicle looks great is to keep it clean. If you don’t own an air conditioner or heater, invest in one. Your garage can easily become a sweaty mess with excess perspiration seeping into your vehicles.
- Protection against the sun’s heat – Some covers are designed to help protect your vehicle against the harmful rays of the sun, but not all. Some are too big, too heavy, too bulky or too small. Invest in a product that is designed for your needs. Use the cover plate as a tool for adding security, not as a shelter.
- Security factor – Don’t forget to look at the security factor of the cover plate you purchase. Some roofs are less secure than others and could easily be taken over by thieves. You may also want to invest in an additional locking device if possible.
Buying and Installing
Shop around and do some research before you buy. It will pay off in the long run and save you time and money. Take the time to look through the different options to find a great deal!
Installation – When it’s time to install, follow the instructions exactly. Some covers need to be attached to the vehicle by a bolt. Others should be secured by a hook.
The installation process will vary depending on the size of the cover. It’s best to start by determining the length of your vehicle. Once you have the measurements, get out those measuring tapes and do a little measuring!
The mounting system is a simple matter of screws being inserted into the mounting bracket, but don’t forget about the screws for the cover. These will secure the rack in place. They also attach the roof to the vehicle.
Remember to drill and screw your covers where you installed the screws. You don’t want to be surprised with the hole in the middle of your garage!